Updated: Oct 31, 2022
The Carnivore Diet is the ultimate elimination diet. Often people adopt the carnivore way of eating due to continued health issues or to lose weight. This way of eating is all about eating meat and other animal products.
You might be wondering, "What's an animal product?" Well, if the food came from something that could fly, walk or swim, then you can eat it morning, noon, and night. It means beef, pork, fish, and poultry will be the dominant foodin your diet
Many people who don't like vegetables think this diet sounds like heaven. However, there are a few who feel this diet is too restrictive. But unlike other diets, you only have to focus on two things, fat and protein, which makes the carnivore way of eating easier than you think.
The Carnivore Diet is not a one size fits all lifestyle. For those who tolerate it, eggs, raw dairy, berries and other fruit, and sometimes honey are included. If you are trying to lose weight or have allergy type sensitivities, you may want to exclude those foods for a while and try later to reintroduce them later one at a time. Eat what you like and, in the beginning, eat as much as you like. Don't worry if all you eat is beef and another person just eats chicken. You do you! Eat what makes you feel good and satiated. The goal in the beginning to stay satiated, which keeps the sugar and carb cravings away.
If you’re still interested, let me give you some tips starting:
1) Make fatty red meat from ruminant animals the staple of your diet. If you are on a budget, ground beef is an excellent choice. I choose the fattier 80/20 ground beef. Eating lean cuts of beef are fine, but you will need to add fat like butter or tallow to it to ensure you get enough fat and calories.
Remember, fat does not make you fat. Eating butter is good for you as it is anti-inflammatory and an easy source of fat-soluble vitamins. Tallow and other animal fats are delicious and satisfying as well.
2) Eggs are incredibly nutritious. They are a great source of fat and protein. They also have iron, phosphorus, selenium, & vitamins A, B12, B2, B5, etc. So, eggs are an amazing addition to the carnivore diet. I often dip my steak in an egg yolk and butter sauce.
3) Dairy is also a source of healthy fat and protein. However, many of us are sensitive to dairy. Some may not be as sensitive to raw dairy though. Make sure you pay attention to what is added to your dairy and pick the cleanest source available to you. Dairy can make weight loss impossible for some. So, if you are eating and moving and still not seeing weight loss look at how much dairy you are consuming.
3) Other non-ruminant meats like seafood, chicken & pork are a good choice as well. However, these cuts of meat are not as fatty as beef. You will need to remember to add fat. Some are more sensitive to these types of meats as well. Pay attention to your histamine response. If you have a skin issue that seems to clear up while eating beef but comes back when you eat chicken, pork or fish, you may want to just stick with beef.
4) Organ meats without a doubt are the most nutrient dense foods on earth. Eating them once or twice a week is more than enough, but some eat a few ounces each day. Try out different animal organs, some taste better than others. If you don't like raw or cooked organs or you just aren't ready to try them, you can get them in desiccated form from Heart & Soil Supplements - Desiccated Organ Supplements (heartandsoil.co). Adding organ meat or the desiccated capsules can be so beneifical to your health.
This is just a brief overview of the carnivore diet. Eating this way can make you feel amazing. It can help you heal gut issues, skin issues, along with a host of other things. On the carnivore diet you will not be eating grains, sugar, vegetables or any other processed foods. You can drink water, or you can have tea or coffee as you tolerate it, no soda, or other types of sugar drinks. The idea is to eliminate all sugar and carbs.
You will find a lot of information out there regarding the carnivore diet. It can be overwhelming. Remember your carnivore diet may not look like anothers carnivore diet, and that's okay. My carnivore bestie created a guide to help you through the process. Click the link below to download it.